Saturday, April 18, 2009

Interesting...

Shortly after my rant about the things I've been told about my daughter and her future weight issues, this blog entry came out:

Death threats to children — the government’s idea of public health messages

Here's the part that REALLY gets to me:

Parents report their children have been left terrified of food. One mother told the Telegraph that her daughter had became very upset about dying when her dad served her cereal with sugar on it and that children are being “brainwashed” by exaggerated messages about healthy eating promoted in schools.

WOW. Again, people need to have a NORMAL relationship with food, not an obsession for or against it. And some people seriously need to get over their fat phobias before they screw up their kids! And by fat phobia, people who, in my opinion, think no differently than those with anorexia or bullemia but instead of seeing it on themselves, see it on other people, as in, no one else is skinny enough for them. In other words, people who make comments about my HUSBAND being overweight when he weighs less than 130 lbs because it's not all pure muscle. SICK! These kinds of people need MAJOR THERAPY!

1 comment:

  1. Argh. People and weight PISS ME OFF. No one can win the whole weight game. It's not just people that have "extra" weight. It's people whose BMI put them in "normal" and it's people like me who get comments about anorexia.

    For a while in Jr. High after the nurse called my mom in to talk about my "anorexia", I was swigging oil and eating margerine to try to gain weight. I ate an entire freaking tub of margerine over one day, a tablespoon at a time. I didn't gain a single f*ing pound, either. Although I probably did WONDERS for raising my risk of heart disease.

    Healthy is healthy, regardless of weight. The focus should be on healthy choices, moderation, and exercise.

    Whenever I make a comment about "I shouldn't eat that", or exhibit any interest in nutritional labels, I get people shrugging off my concerns as silly. If I make a comment about being out of shape, or needing more exercise- again, people laugh. That's no more healthy, for pete's sake! Skinny people can die of sudden cardiac arrest if they eat a tub of butter every month, live on kool-whip, and don't exercise. And "overweight" people can live forever because they're making healthy eating decisions, getting exercise and paying attention to their health.

    People are fricking nuts. They're so focused on numbers and shape and have no idea of what really constitutes health.

    Making foods "contraband" or "guilty" does nothing to solve the problem either. Ugh.

    I talk to my son about "healthier choices" and "occasional indulgence" and how a cookie tastes better if you only have it occasionally, and how delicious steamed broccoli is with a bit of garlic powder. I hope it sticks, as the men on both sides of his family tend toward rotund, mostly as the result of poor nutritional habits at some point in life.

    ReplyDelete

Hopefully this will help keep the spam down and yet allow anyone who wants to comment to comment.